Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Journey into Bargue drawing

I'd really like to start abstracting my drawings and to try to develop something close to a style but I've always been painfully aware how poor my fundamentals are - basic things like anatomy, perspective and actual drawing/painting technique. I feel I need to get a good handle on all this before I can really try to experiment more. Or maybe I'm just putting it off and making excuses...

Anyway I had read about an old drawing course create by Charles Bargue that involved learning to draw by repetition and copying works by old masters. This is something I would never have had the patience for when I was younger but I like to think that I'm more measured these days so I thought I would give it a go. Thanks to my wife for buying me the book for our anniversary.

My copy of the first plate:

I probably should compliment this with trying to draw from life, or at least photos in a similar style. When I have time.

No comments: